Monday, October 3, 2011

Spools of Thread a tutorial

I was feeling very crafty this weekend, and decided to start and luckily complete a project I have been wanting to do for quite some time, and that is a thread holder that is easily accessible while I am at my sewing machine, and I am proud to show it.



Here is how I made it, First things first decide what it is you want, your color scheme and such. Now find a picture frame, figure out how much thread you have/need and what size you like. Then if you don't have a back go to any home improvement store and search through there spare wood bins, I got a very large piece for .51 cents. and they cut it for me. Find scrapbooking paper that you like and doesn't distract from the look you want, Mod Podge, a brush, nails and hangers for the frame itself



This was also my first time using Mod Podge, and I was very happy with the results and am looking for more things to Mod Podge. Now for the wood backing, take your scrapbooking paper and measure and cute to your liking, I only need a little bit of the second paper, and decided to add it on the sides and use the main one as a center



add as many coats as you feel neccessary, I only added one and let it dry over night. There was a bit of bubbling, but it worked it self out, which was good, cause it was drivng me crazy.


after it is completely dried, I glued the wood backing into the picture frame and let it dry for about 30 min. and then added on the sawtooth hangers, and then I added the nails, but I would add the nails then add the hangers and then glue.



Postion where you would like your thread



Use a pencil and make a mark where to hammer your nails. I use nails I already had, but take your threads of spool the home improvement store, find one that sales nails by the pd so you can get the right size, and put your spools on the nail to make sure the whole spool can rest on it without falling off. Bring different sizes to be accurate.



Be careful when hammering not to go through the wood piece, I did a few times but nothing to bad. Then hang on your wall, add your spools and admire your craftiness. Please send pictures, I love to see how people take an idea and make it there own, that is how this came about.



Total cost: Frame from thrift store: .50cents
wood backing : .51cents
scrapbook paper : 1.40 I used coupons
Brush : .39 cents
Sawtooth hangers : .97 cents
Mod Podge : free, borrowed from mom
nails : free, donated from mom (Thanks mom)
_______________________________________________________________
Total cost : $3.76

Self satisfaction : Priceless

13 comments:

  1. Hello! I have taken the photo of your great idea and I have put it on my blog http://zapomnianapracownia.blogspot.com/
    I mentioned your page and I wrote that this photo comes from your blog. It will be ok?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. Found it on Pinterest. Have to make for my small crafty corner. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to use fabric instead of craft paper. Then I can just wrap it around and staple it to the board! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking the same thing, Megan! Great use of all the pretty fabric I have laying around lol

      Delete
  4. I love this craft! I made my own version and am thrilled with it! Check out my experience with this great ideat at:

    http://kissmysmash.blogspot.com/2012/05/organized-obsessions.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I have those ugly wood ones you buy in the store and I hate them. I am going to make a few of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Absolutely going to try this !!
    LOVE IT !!!
    Thank you !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss my Genie......caught a glimpse of one in the photos. It was my first sewing machine.....wish I hadn't sold it!

    ReplyDelete